Intuitive Controls Mod for Dragon Age Origins [Discontinued]

Update: Discontinued. No longer available.

I'm starting my blog by publishing a mod that fixes the controls and camera of the game Dragon Age Origins. It should work with all versions and DLC (Steam / Origin, including old versions). The documentation and download information can be found in its separate page, here. Feel free to leave your feedback in the comments.

Here are some tips to help new users:
  • Instead of always clicking, click-hold-release. This allows you to make small last-moment adjustments and see contextual information about the target (e.g. area radius the spell/ability will affect). It also helps when opening chests and talking to people.
  • When using abilities that target a single enemy you can either attack first to select the target and then activate the ability, or activate the ability first and then select the target with Left-Click.
  • In the beginning use Left-Shift a lot until you get comfortable. With practice you can achieve the same results with the quickslot keys and mouse clicking.

In this blog I'm going to add technical reviews, tutorials and tools related to gaming/modding and security, with unique content that is not found elsewhere. If this is something that interests you keep an eye out for new posts.

Comments

  1. Works as intended perfectly, couple this mod with pinnacleprofiler + Xbox controller with any mods you want and its an amazing experience am really grateful for this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I generally don't play with controllers but well-designed controls should work well with the proper adaptations. It's hard to believe the game got so popular with people playing with the default setup.

      Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  2. So you created a great mod, and then deleted it because you did not get enough attention? That's ridiculous. I really hope you reconsider and just make your mods accessible for all to find and use, that's the real spirit of modding. I've made mods that ten people used (and myself) and it never bothered me because I didn't do it for the likes. Most people probably don't even realise how useful this can be and how much it can improve gameplay since we are now all accustomed to the active camera type of gameplay that didn't exist in DA:O's days.

    Another game that can use this upgrade is Neverwinter Nights 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apart from a couple of players it looked like most people either couldn't overcome the initial adaptation curve or they couldn't get them working. I'm not sure since I asked for feedback but those who reported problems didn't include any useful information. The main reason I discontinued them is because it seemed like I was just wasting people's time, in addition to my own. I also needed to update them and when I uninstalled the games I wouldn't be making further updates.

      In any case the documentation is public domain, so if anyone wants to create mods based on these ideas they're welcome to do it. The only advice I can give is: don't bother. The mods people are really interested in are cheats (e.g. double XP) and cosmetic items (e.g. nude mods). They're also a lot easier to create.

      Delete
  3. I believe you should reconsider the decision to keep the previous version of this mod behind locked doors. I think it's a shame that people won't be able to see what kind of mod this is. If it's anything like your DAI mod by the same name, people are gonna like it. What I'm saying is that you should give us the ability to download whatever version that was the latest before you discontinued it in order for other people to tinker with it and maybe fix it up if it wasn't working correctly. The community would probably benefit from that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These mods use proprietary components, so unless someone wants to acquire everything to make it public it won't happen, sorry. Not many people have the expertise in all areas required to update them anyway and those who do could just create their own based on the public documentation.

      Delete

Post a Comment